Things to bear in mind:
- The most commonly used online resource for finding apartment rentals in the Bay Area is Craigslist.org.
- Another good options for shorter stays are the www.airbnb.com and www.couchsurfing.org.
- NEVER make a payment or transfer money to someone before having the keys and a contract in your hands! It is very common to find “fake rental posts” with very attractive places for cheap price. Usually, it says that the owners suddenly had to travel somewhere and decided to rent their place, but they won’t be able to meet you in person. So you transfer the money and then you can get the key with a third person. (é golpe, não caia!)
UCSF housing tips
- UCSF Housing INFO: http://campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu/housing/
- Visit 511.org and use the trip-planner to see what the transportation options and commute times might be like for you if you decide to live outside San Francisco.
- Free shuttles connect UCSF’s main campuses and satellite locations.
- There is a free UCSF shuttle from the 16th St Mission BARTstation to the UCSF Mission Bay campus.
- The CalTrain station on King Street is only about a 10-15 minute walk to Mission Bay.
- A wide system of bus services including Muni, AC Transit,SamTrans and others connect San Francisco with the greater Bay Area.
- There is also ferry service to San Francisco’s Embarcadero from the East Bay cities of Alameda, Oakland, and Vallejo.
- Bicycles are allowed on BART, CalTrain, ferries, and many bus lines, and it’s a short, flat ride from the Ferry Building to Mission Bay.
- UCSF also has a network you can tap into for car and vanpools.
Good neighborhoods to stay in and convenient to the UCSF Shuttle bus system or MUNI Transit lines are
– Potrero Hill (you can walk to work)
– Around Parnassus (the main UCSF campus)
– Sunset (inner and Outer)
– Richmond (inner and Outer)
– Around Taraval St.
– Around Haight St.
Other good neighborhoods are
– Around San Francisco State University (West Portal, Parkside)
– Pacific heights
– North beach
– Noe Valley
– Bernal heights
– Parts of Mission are ok
– Western Addition
– Bayview/Hunter’s Point
– South of Market (some good spots but very mixed)